While some smoothies are just another addition to your breakfast, this is a true meal replacement that doesn’t skimp on flavor or nutrients. This recipe is low fat, high protein, high fiber, and is low-carb friendly (though whether it can truly be low carb will depend on your ingredient preferences). We start with Earth’s most giving superfoods, moringa and hemp. These two ingredients provide superfood greens and powerful plant protein. Then, we combine these magical plants with the flavors of peanut butter, espresso, chocolate, and creamy soy milk. The only sweetener comes from 3/4 of a frozen banana and bittersweet chocolate.
Smoothies are a great way to start the day. But it can be easy to pack these morning treats with sugar, meaning more carbs. If you already struggle with high blood sugar (or, glucose levels) or insulin production, adding too much fruit, sweetener, or carbs from sources like grains can cause blood sugar to spike. In this scenario, one might feel a sudden burst of energy, followed by a crash and burn of hunger.
This blood sugar spike and crash can staved off by adding fewer carbs and more fiber to your smoothie recipes. That’s why Woody’s smoothies recipes usually contain high fiber ingredients such as psyllium husk. Adding fiber to your smoothies helps regulate glucose levels, stave off a blood sugar spike, and help your body maintain the energy derived from your cool, refreshing, breakfast on-the-go.
Protein Power PB Buzz Smoothie
- 1 C Soy Milk (Unsweetened for low-carb)
- 1 Tbsp Moringa
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter Powder (Or, 1-2 Tbsp Peanut Butter)
- 4 Tbsp Hemp Protein Powder
- 1 tsp Psyllium Husk Powder (1 tbsp husks)
- 1/2-3/4 banana (frozen!)
- 1 C Ice
- 4 Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans (or, 4 coffee beans + 4 Chocolate Chips)
- 1 tsp Allulose (optional, for sweeter smoothie)
- Add all ingredients to your blender and GO!
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy! We usually prefer a mason jar, but a pint glass or tumbler will work well.